[Lexicog] Prototypical "white"

Danilo Nogueira danilo.tradutor at GMAIL.COM
Fri May 19 23:43:52 UTC 2006

My hair is light, my skin is as white as President Bush's, if not
lighter. My grandparents came from Europe and, as far as I can detect,
there is not a single drop of Indian or Black blood in the family. But
the family stems from the wrong side of the Pyrenees and I was born in
the wrong country. If my grandparents had come from France to Québec,
I would be  "white". Since they came from Spain and Portugal to
Brazil, I believe I am "Hispanic".

I find this business of "caucasian" ridiculous. An embarrassed and
embarrassing way of saying "white", of course. There is no such a
thing as a "Caucasian ethinicity". What do, say, Armenians and
Georgians have in common?. And this business of "Hispanic" sounds like
people want to sey "Mestizo", without using the word. By the way,
"mestizo" in Spanish ("mestiço" in Portuguese) just means "of mixed
race". A child of Swedish and Japanese parents is as much mesti(z/ç)o
as the child of Indian and "white" parents.

There should be a limit to political correctness.

-
Danilo Nogueira -São Bernardo Bra(s/z)il
ABRATES, ATA, SINTRA
www.nogueiratranslations.com.br
Translation Journal www.accurapid.com/journal

http://us.click.yahoo.com/.7bhrC/MGxNAA/yQLSAA/HKE4lB/TM