[Lexicog] Re: White man names

Dr. Hayim Y. Sheynin hsheynin at GRATZ.EDU
Tue May 23 00:53:55 UTC 2006

Fritz,

It does not avoid the skin color (at least etymologically), since Semitic root Aleph, Daleth, Mem (Adam) refers to red color. This red color was the color of material, from which G-o-d created the humans (Genesis 1:26). The same root is used for the word 'adama' (earth, dirth). Following the Bible one can understand that a kind of red or redish earth or clay was used to make the first human being, Adam or ha-adam ha-rishon (the first man). Do we believe in the biblical story or not, it doesn't matter for philological
Reasons.

Best wishes,
Hayim

============
Dr. Hayim Y. Sheynin
Adjunct Professor of Jewish Literature
Gratz College
7605 Old York Rd.
Melrose Park, PA 19027

Tel.: 215 635-7300 x 161
Fax: 215 635-7320
email: hsheynin at gratz.edu

________________________________

From: lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com [mailto:lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Fritz Goerling
Sent: Monday, May 22, 2006 6:18 PM
To: lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [Lexicog] Re: White man names

I, a white man, was once called by an African co-worker "mògò fin" which
means "black man." I understood this as a sign of acceptance. This African
belongs to an ethnic group who refer to people/human beings/humanity
as "mògònafin." They also have another more common word "adamadenw"
(= children/descendants of Adam) which is more appropriate in the translation
of the Bible because it avoids the issue of skin color. I keep joking with them
individually, saying to a friend that we have the same father and mother. To the
astonished question "How?", I answer: Adam and Eve. They agree, smiling.

Fritz Goerling