[Lexicog] Variants

David Frank david_frank at SIL.ORG
Tue May 23 19:53:10 UTC 2006

from David Frank:

It sounds like you really think of these forms as being variants but you are
afraid they wouldn't techically qualify as variants, and you think maybe you
should call them synonyms even though you really know they are variants.

I would treat them as variants. Here are my answers to your question:

"Assuming a dictionary is written in one primary dialect, does a variant
have to refer only to variant spellings of a word from the primary dialect?"
No.

"What if the word from the primary dialect is pronounced with a slight
difference in a minor dialect? Could that not be called a dialectical
variant?"
Yes.

"Or would it have to be called a synonym since it is not a variant from the
primary dialect?"
No.

"How narrow is the term 'variant'?"
I don't feel bound to use a narrow classification for variants. Based on a
correlation of form and meaning, you have to make a judgment whether two
words are variants, synonyms, or something else.

"How have you used this term 'variant' in your own dictionaries?"
On some basis, you have to decide which of the variant forms to select to
make into a main entry. (That doesn't seem to be your problem; you have
identified a primary dialect.) In that main entry, I listed the variant
dialectal forms that that same word can have. Then I made a minor entry for
each of the variant forms, pointing to the main entry.

If two different words have similar meanings, I would call them synonyms
only if they don't come from the same historical (i.e., etymological)
source, or if they can't be recognized as coming from the same historical
source.

Of course, sometimes two words come from the same etymological source but
have come to have two distinct meanings, and in that case I wouldn't call
them either synonyms or variants.