[Lexicog] Nouns

Greg and Heather Mellow gh_mellow at SIL.ORG
Wed May 24 23:02:00 UTC 2006

Thanks Max,

You have answered the main question. In a dictionary, you would label a fixed expression as a compound noun. I think I will follow your advice.

Once the part of speech we call "compound noun" is included in the grammar, we get the problem of distinguishing between compound nouns and noun phrases. You mentioned two tests for compound nouns.

One test is a syntactic test, "a compound noun can appear anywhere in syntax that a
plain noun might appear (assuming semantic compatibility)"

Another test is a semantic test, "one writes lexical entries in a dictionary for compound nouns
if they are not compositional, that is, if you can't figure out their meaning from the meaning of the two parts"

My example of 'hot dog' is ambiguous because the same construction has two different referents. The food item passes both the tests, so that sense of hot dog is a compound noun.

With respect, your example of 'gun rack' does not pass the semantic test because I can figure out what the expression means from the two component parts. In fact I think there is a significant proportion of compound nouns that fail the semantic test because they were originally constructed from words that obviously referred to the item in question. Brown trout, elm beetle, hitchhiker, member of parliament, dishwasher, fireplace; these are intuitively compound nouns in my mind, but if I had never heard of them, I could discern the approximate meaning from the component pieces.

Perhaps a compound noun is a simple noun construction (typically two or three words) that is commonly used as a fixed expression, to consistently refer to a specific referent and which appears in the syntax anywhere a simple noun might appear (assuming semantic compatibility). Although the syntactic evidence for adopting this part of speech is weak, the correlation between the word group and the referent is strong, leading to a strong intuitive argument for the 'reality' of this linguistic phenomenon.

What do you think?

Regards,
Greg