[Lexicog] Nouns

Ron Moe ron_moe at SIL.ORG
Wed May 24 23:13:25 UTC 2006

There are three types of complex forms--derivatives, compounds, and phrases.
(There are compound derivatives and derived compounds, but they are merely
complications.) Derivatives and compounds, like roots, have a part of
speech. But phrases, not being words, do not.

There are several problems, both theoretical and practical, in assigning a
part of speech to a multi-word lexical item. Some lexical phrases are fixed,
for example 'of course'. Although it looks like a prepositional phrase, it
is not. It functions as a conjunction (or perhaps as a pragmatic particle).
It cannot be affixed or modified in any way. Nothing can be inserted between
the two words. So you could label it a 'prepositional phrase' according to
its internal composition, or as a 'conjunction' according to its function. I
would prefer to call it neither. If I have to call it something, I would
prefer 'conjunction phrase', indicating that it functions as a conjunction
and is composed of more than one word. However 'of course' has other
problems. Phonologically it is a single word, like 'however' and
'nevertheless'. 'Of course' has the misfortune of being written
orthographically as two words, rather than a single word. So 'however' can
be simply labeled 'conjunction', but 'of course' has to be labeled
'conjunction phrase'. Unfair, but that's how the world is.

Other lexical phrases are not fixed. Take, for example, the idiom 'have a
fit':

He had a fit (over the unfairness of the situation).
We were all having fits (over the unfairness of the situation).

The verb 'have' can be inflected for tense and aspect. The noun 'fit' can be
inflected for number. The article 'a' can be omitted according to syntactic
rules. In other words 'have a fit' is a sequence of words syntactically, but
a single unit semantically. 'Have a fit' is a semantic event, but it is not
a syntactic verb. 'Have' is a verb.

Some theories of syntax confuse the situation by calling 'grits' a NP.
Sorry, but it is not a phrase. A phrase by definition consists of more than
one word. Ask anyone on the street (or consult Crystal 'A Dictionary of
Linguistics and Phonetics'). 'Grits' is a noun word. 'Grit' is a noun root.
'Lots of grits' is a noun phrase. Just because Chomsky stuck the label 'NP'
on a particular node in a syntactic tree doesn't suddenly make 'grits' a
noun phrase. Chomsky should have searched for a better label.

So what do we call something like 'have a fit'? Obviously it is not a word.
'Part of speech' is a function of words. Therefore it has no part of speech.
In the part of speech field you could call it a 'clause fragment' or 'idiom'
or 'lexical phrase' or phrasal lexeme', but please don't call it a 'verb'.

And don't call 'hot dog' a 'noun phrase', 'compound', or 'noun'. Like 'of
course', it is phonologically a compound, but written as two words. Compare
hotbed, hot-blooded, hot cake (cf. pancake), hotfoot, hothead, hothouse, hot
line, hot plate, hot rod/hotrod, hot seat, hotshot, hot spring, hotspur.
Phonologically and syntactically they are all compounds (spicy hot dog, *hot
spicy dog). If you call the ones written as phrases 'compounds', your parser
will choke. Your parser knows (even if you do not) that a space separates
words and that there is no such thing as a 'compound phrase'.

The difficulty in handling lexical phrases becomes painfully obvious when
you try to parse and/or interlinearize them. (In the following pretend that
capitalized words are glosses in a second language.)

\tx Of         course there     are other      considerations  [text line]
\mr of         course there     are other      consideration-s [morphemes]
\lx of.course> <      there.be> <   other      consideration-s [lexeme]
\gl HOWEVER>   <      EXIST>    <   ADDITIONAL FACTOR-PL       [morpheme
gloss]
\ps prep       n      adv       v   adj        n-n.sfx         [part of
speech]
\wg HOWEVER>   <      EXIST>    <   ADDITIONAL FACTORS         [word gloss]
\wc prep       n      adv       v   adj        n               [word
category]
\ft However additional factors exist. [free translation]

\tx We   were      all having          fits    over  the hot      dogs
\mr we   were      all hav-ing         fit-s   over  the hot      dog-s
\lx we   be        all have.a.fit>-ing <-s     over  the hot.dog> <-s
\gl 1.PL BE.PST.PL ALL GET.ANGRY>-PRTC <-PL    ABOUT DEF WIENER>  <-PL
\ps pro  aux       adj v-v.sfx         n-n.sfx prep  art adj      n-n.sfx
\wg WE   WERE      ALL GETTING.ANGRY>  <       ABOUT DEF WIENERS> <
\wc pro  aux       adj v               n       prep  art adj      n
\ft All of us were getting angry about the wieners.

I am not recommending the above as a method of interlinearizing lexical
phrases. I merely wish to point out the difficulties in 'glossing' lexical
phrases. We can handle the affixes perfectly easily as long as each word is
handled as a separate word. But handling the multi-word nature of lexical
phrases causes lots of problem. Essentially the problem is that linguistic
structure is heirarchical and multi-dimensional, and therefore cannot be
adequately handled in a two-dimensional display.

Unfortunately the study of lexical phrases is not as well developed as the
morphology and syntax of single words. Someone needs to write the definitive
book on the subject. (Or is there a good book out there?) In the meantime I
would recommend that you leave the part of speech field for lexical phrases
empty or simply assign them to 'Phrase' (abbreviation: Phr.).

Ron Moe