[Lexicog] Nouns

David Frank david_frank at SIL.ORG
Thu May 25 18:40:50 UTC 2006

from David Frank:

I will agree with Ron Moe on this... Phrases don't have parts of speech, and
it is preferable, in my opinion, to leave out trying to list anything in the
part-of-speech field for phrases in a dictionary. Some people tend to think
that every dictionary entry needs to have SOMETHING listed for a part of
speech, but I think phrases are an exception. Some people (as I have helped
others with their dictionaries) want at least to put "phr." for "phrase,"
but I don't think that is necessary and is to be avoided. That is my
opinion, in agreement with Ron's (who is more of an authority on
dictionary-making than I am).

Now there are some cases where it is not clear what constitutes a compound
word and what constitutes a phrase. The way English words are commonly
written is not always a reliable guide. Consider "alot" vs. "a lot." The
former is common, but it should be two words, on analogy with "a little." Or
"all right" vs. "alright." Ever since this discussion began, I have been
wondering if "hot dog" shouldn't be "hotdog." I'm sure it is sometimes
spelled each way. (I think I would rather see a label that says "Hotdog Bun"
rather than "Hot Dog Bun.")

Now in reference to what Greg Mellow wrote, I agree with him about "gun
rack" and maybe "brown trout" and "elm beetle," but I think that the meaning
of "dishwasher" is more specific than "dish" plus "washer." A dishwasher
properly refers to a machine, not a person. Perhaps also "fireplace" is not
just any place where there is a fire. You wouldn't refer to a burning
building as a fireplace. And to me, "hitch" plus "hiker" doesn't equal
"hitchhiker."

I don't know much about zoology or fishing, but it is quite possible that
what is called a "brown trout" is not just any kind of trout that is brown.
Similarly, a grizzly bear may be brown but it wouldn't be called a brown
bear.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/_7bhrC/NGxNAA/yQLSAA/HKE4lB/TM