[Lexicog] Hot dogs

Fritz Goerling Fritz_Goerling at SIL.ORG
Thu May 25 19:47:52 UTC 2006

In the attachment, are these "hotdogs" or "hot dogs" or "hotdog dogs"

or "hotdog buns"or "hot dog buns?"

Fritz Goerling

Robert Amsler wrote:

"hot dog" had 43,500,000 hits in a web search. "hotdog" had 1,840,000
hits. The dominant use of "hotdog" was as an adjective or verb sense
rather than as a reference to the "hot dog" noun. As such the meaning is
more in reference to a style of behavior which might be referred to as
"showing off" (e.g., in sports such as skiing, surfing or auto racing).

As such a "hotdog bun" might not be the same thing as a "hot dog bun",
so the closed compound may already have acquired a different meaning.