[Lexicog] Invariance and exploitation

Patrick Hanks hanks at BBAW.DE
Sun May 28 19:10:38 UTC 2006

Thanks for "tmesis", John.  Ah yes, the very word -- it was on the tip of my
tongue...

... and for the examples from Amele. Wow!

The variety of conventions in natural languages is truly amazing. I wonder
if the
variety of exploitations -- that grey area between the normal and the
possible --
is equally great in all languages.

On the basis of what you say, I'd like to regard the reciprocal in Amele as
a 'word'
because I think that a space is neither a necessary nor a sufficient
condition for word
boundary. It's just a useful convention, with fuzzy boundaries. Your Amele
example
and (I suppose) many examples from agglutinative languages and indeed from
German
show that it is not a necessary condition-- and as for sufficiency, English
expressions
like "of course" and even perhaps "take place" could be regarded as single
words
spelled with a space in them.

Patrick