[Lexicog] Slots and slot fillers (nee "Nouns")

Michael Cahill Mike_Cahill at SIL.ORG
Mon May 29 18:48:16 UTC 2006

I've never heard "I waited a ferry" or a similar expression, and it sounds
non-native to me. But could some cases of "waited" be an erosion of
"Awaited?"  The sentence "I awaited a ferry" sounds archaic and a bit
artificial, but at least it fits my sense of rightness.

But the original source for this discussion doesn't quite fit that, though
perhaps John's Google examples do. I wonder if we're trying to
artificially conflate 3 sources of this type of expression: 1)
phonological erosion as above, 2) expressing "wait for" as "wait", a new
way of speaking, and 3) just plain mistake. And maybe others. It would be
helpful if we could decide which of these we're actually dealing with.

Mike Cahill

"John Roberts" <dr_john_roberts at sil.org>
Sent by: lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
05/29/2006 11:32 AM
Please respond to
lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com

<lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com>
cc

Subject
Re: [Lexicog]  Slots and slot fillers (nee "Nouns")

Patrick Hanks asked: I couldn't say "I wiated a train" with this meaning.
Could you?

Apparently you can. I googled up these coupla examples off the internet
which have nothing to do with Puget Sound:

"... and about one hour sooner than if I had waited a train for the end of

the morning in Bordeaux."

"I waited a train at the nearest station."

John Roberts