[Lexicog] Slots and slot fillers (nee "Nouns")

David Frank david_frank at SIL.ORG
Tue May 30 15:19:39 UTC 2006

I remember, from when I was little, "one Bonanza" being used as a unit of
time (or two Bonanzas, three, etc.). Everybody knew that the television
program Bonanza lasted for one hour. But this was clearly a creative use of
language for fun, related to what Patrick Hanks calls competence in
exploiting the norms of language.

Patrick -- I really liked what you said about two types of competence. If
you would publish something that contains that thought, it would make it
easier for me to quote you on it.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/AHchtC/4FxNAA/yQLSAA/HKE4lB/TM