[Lexicog] Toolbox

Wayne Leman wayne_leman at SIL.ORG
Fri Nov 3 06:07:11 UTC 2006

For those who may be interested, I recently switched from using Shoebox to
manage my lexical files some of the time (when I'm not using my preferred
program, Lexique Pro) to Toolbox, the successor to Shoebox. I had a few
difficulties with the latest version of Toolbox (v. 1.5) which are known to
the programmers. They recommended I drop back to v. 1.4.1 and that has
worked fine for me. My reason for spending some time with either program
lately has been to get them to interlinearize some texts. I interlinearized
a number of texts with Shoebox quite a few years ago, but then added
thousands more entries to my lexical files. Now I don't get good
interlinearizing with either program, but the programmers are helping me try
to resolve the issues.

If you don't have Toolbox yet and wish to try it, you can download it from:

http://www.sil.org/computing/toolbox/downloads.htm

This is a good time to remind Lexicography List subscribers that there is an
email discussion group dedicated to discussing Toolbox (and Shoebox) issues.
For info on the list, go to:

http://groups.google.com/group/ShoeboxToolbox-Field-Linguists-Toolbox

There are also now working lexical and interlinearization components in the
new FieldWorks program, available as free downloads from:

http://www.sil.org/computing/FieldWorks/FW_downloads.htm

I have downloaded and installed FieldWorks but have not had time yet to try
to get anything in the software suite to work.

I have downloaded and installed TshwaneLex. For info, go to:

http://tshwanedje.com/tshwanelex/

But I ran into difficulties trying to convert my lexical data which uses
SFMs (Standard Format Markers) from Shoebox, Toolbox, and Lexique Pro and
have not had time yet to find a solution. So I have not been able to try out
the program to report on it. But, as always, we welcome reports on this list
on any software, such as TshwaneLex, which you may have used.

Wayne
-----
Wayne Leman
Cheyenne dictionary online: