[Lexicog] little words...

Hayim Sheynin hsheynin19444 at YAHOO.COM
Sun Nov 5 02:46:38 UTC 2006

Teuer Julius,

I couldn't check your transcription, because my email translated it into some abracadabra (maybe it is machine language).

Maybe you can to send me the same message in another format or in
attachment I would be able to see Russian spelling (I have Acrobat Reader on
my computer).
When I reply to your Russian file, I'll supply you with accepted Russian abbreviations.

Glueck auf,

Hayim Sheynin

Julius Becker <julius.becker at gmail.com> wrote:                                  Hey Hayim Sheynin,

thank you very much for your e-mail.

With my grandmother's help, I'm able to transcribe the Russian words into kyrillic. Well, her Russian is kind of rusty, that's why I want to double-check if the transcription is right.

что-то ('something' – nominative)
чего-то ('something' – genitive)
чему-то ('something' – dative)
что-то ('something' – accusative)
чом-то ('something' – ablative)
чём-то ('something' – instrumental)

кто-то ('someone' – nominative)
кого-то ('someone' – genitive)
кому-то ('someone' – dative)
кого-то ('someone' – accusative)
кем-то ('someone' – ablative)
ком-то ('someone' – instrumental)

Question: My grandmother felt like (she isn't sure at all) -либо could also be used instead of -то (-> что-либо, кто-либо etc.). Is this right?

And a final question: Those forms look very short. Are there any abbreviated forms?

Julius Becker

2006/11/4, Hayim Sheynin <hsheynin19444 at yahoo.com>:                                    "something"  in Russian chto-to (Nom. and Acc.)
                                                chego-to (Gen.)
                                                chemu-to (Dat.)
                                                chem-to (Instr.)
                                               chyom-to (Abl.)

"somebody"  in Russian  kto-to (Nom.)
                                                 kogo-to (Gen. and Acc.)
                                                komu-to (Dat.)
                                                kem-to (Instr. or Casus agentis)
                                                kom-to (Abl.)

"something"  in Hebrew   mashehu (n.)
                                                 shel mashehu (Gen.)
                                                  le-mashehu or el mashehu (Dat. & (directionis)                                                            be-mashehu (Instr. or Casus agentis & Locat.)
                                                al mashehu (Abl.)

 "somebody"  in Hebrew   mishehu (m., Nom. & Acc.)
                                                mishehi (f., Nom. & Acc.)
                                                  for indirect cases to this words should be added
                                     prepositions as above in the case of "mashehu",
                                                only for Casus agentis instead of prep. be-
                                                should be added "bidei" or "al yedei".

Hayim Sheynin

koocachoo_de <julius.becker@ gmail.com> wrote:                             Hey at all!

 As I posted a while ago, I'm working on a markup language (ML) for
  dictionaries (http://gml.gidoo.de/). In this ML, I have elements that
 replace common words in dictionaries. Like " en.sth" for "something".
 The advantage is, that the user can decide whether he likes to see
 "something" or "sth" or whatever.

 What I've got so far:

 English
 -  en.sb  somebody (sb)
 - en.sth something (sth)

 French
 - fr.qc  quelque chose (qc, qqc)
 - fr.qn  quelqu'un (qn, qqn)

 German
  - de.etw etwas (et, etw)
 - de.j   jemand (j)
 - de.j-m jemandem (j-m)
 - de.j-n jemanden (j-n)

 Since there a lot more languages, I'm turning to you: What do
 "something" and "somebody" mean on other languages?

 Thanks in advance!

 Julius Becker