[Lexicog] SIL Comparative African Wordlist (SILCAWL)

Michael Cahill Mike_Cahill at SIL.ORG
Thu Nov 9 13:59:21 UTC 2006

HI David and all,

The SILCAWL is specifically designed to catch a lot of words that African
languages have in common, and so to facilitate comparison across languages.
The concern is not phonetics (though I know they're interested), but
comparative linguistics. SILCAWL is a list of specific words, while the
list in DDP is not a list of words, but of semantic domains, and questions
designed to elicit a whole lot of specific words.

Mike Cahill
Int'l Linguistics Coordinator, SIL

appears that they are more concerned with phonetics than lexicography.

Anybody using this wordlist or know anything about it?

David Ker
SIL Mozambique
Nyungwe Project and Lexique Pro fanatic

    mailto:lexicographylist-digest at yahoogroups.com