[Lexicog] Re:Words for "cousin"

Stephen Hollister schcamfam at YAHOO.COM
Mon Nov 27 06:45:35 UTC 2006

This does not answer your question, which I see has been answered already, but I have always liked the Khmer word for cousin, ciidoun muoy (one grandmother).  This word makes reference to the fact that cousins have one grandmother in common.  Similarly, the word for second cousin is ciiduot muoy (one great-grandmother) and the word for third cousin is ciiluot muoy (one great-great-grandmother).

Does anyone know of other languages that use this pattern?

Stephen

Dravet Syndrome is a catastrophic epilepsy syndrome with multiple seizure types.  Afflicted children suffer a devastated quality of life from developmental regression, ataxia, sleep disturbances, orthopedic problems, and behavioral issues.  To learn more about Dravet Syndrome, please click http://www.idea-league.org/.