[Lexicog] Re: dictionary markup language

koocachoo_de julius.becker at GMAIL.COM
Tue Oct 10 06:49:41 UTC 2006

Thank you very much for your post.

Before I will comment on it, I want to share some points of the
concept dicML is based on: We intend our dictionaries to be
modularized. That's why we sift out for example morphology in an
independent module. There are two reasons:
- Dictionaries with the same source language can use the same
morphology module.
- Morphology is such a complex subject. I think I haven't to tell you
why. Integrating it into dicML would extremely inflate dicML.

The morphology module will be integrated into the dictionaries via an
entry ID. That's why words with different parts of speech are
different headwords. "Greek" as noun would have as ID en_Greek_n and
"Greek" as adjective "en_Greek_adj".
These two words look the same, but they have a different semantic
content. Up to now, we don't have many possibilities to show a
semantic relation, but I hope that this will change.

A separation between "phonology/orthography" on the one side and
"grammatical information" on the other is not only a very good idea,
it can also ease uniting different entries that look the same. I
really consider introducing this seperation.

About the preference for European Languages: Since dicML is some kind
of one-man work, I can only build on the languages I've learned/I'm
learning (this would be English, French, Japanese, Latin, Catalan and
Turkish) and on the things I'm reading (I didn't know until last week
that there is gender called utrum or a grammatical number called
dual). Since I want to make dicML also usable for other languages, I
wrote the entry in this discussion group.

Julius

    mailto:lexicographylist-digest at yahoogroups.com
    mailto:lexicographylist-fullfeatured at yahoogroups.com