[Lexicog] First Lady

Fritz Goerling Fritz_Goerling at SIL.ORG
Fri Oct 20 17:53:20 UTC 2006

Today I had a discussion with anglophones (Americans and Brits) and Germans
about the use of "First Lady" which has been borrowed from American English
into German to refer to the wife of a head of state or of the federal
president or of the chancellor of Germany. Correctly it should be used for
the wife of the federal president of Germany, the latter being above the
chancellor in terms of protocol. However, it is also used for the wife of
the chancellor. But what if the chancellor is a woman like Angela Merkel?
She would not be referred to as the First Lady. And, if so, how would her
husband be referred to?

As the common language on this list is English, I would like to learn how
this issue is handled among anglophones. I learned today that neither the
Queen nor Tony Blair's wife are referred to as First Lady. Nor was Margaret
Thatcher, who was called the "Iron Lady"

though. The Brits in the above-mentioned discussion said that "First Lady"
is an Americanism.

Well, here is George Bush jr.'s unusual definition: "The most important job
is not to be governor, or first lady in my case."

Has the Americanism "First Lady" been borrowed into other languages and how
is it used?

Fritz Goerling