[Lexicog] First Lady

Fritz Goerling Fritz_Goerling at SIL.ORG
Sat Oct 21 11:05:24 UTC 2006

Chaz,

This would show to me (also in English and German) that a female head of
State

would not be called First Lady (maybe Mrs. President). I cannot imagine that
Hillary Rodham Clinton, should she make it to the top, would be called the
First Lady (maybe I am wrong). What I find very funny is the coinage First
Gentleman.

How about Primero Senor or el Hombre Primero in Spanish? Just kidding.

Fritz

When Panama's president was a woman (1999-2004) the first lady (Primera
Dama) was her sister. I'm not sure what they would have called the
president's husband but she was not married at the time.

-Chaz

_._,___