[Lexicog] First Lady

Fritz Goerling Fritz_Goerling at SIL.ORG
Sat Oct 21 11:46:36 UTC 2006

John,

See for my comments within your posting.

Fritz

John Roberts wrote:

>From what Bill Poser and Chaz said it looks like 'First Lady' is an official

position in the US constitution and does not necessarily need to be the
spouse of the elected president. But this position does need to be filled.
So a title of FIRST SPOUSE or maybe FIRST PARTNER wouldn't do. And the US
media are now talking about a 'First Gentleman' to president Hilary Clinton.

So the official position now has two terms.

    Do you think that Hillary Rodham Clinton will be referred to as First
Lady

    when she becomes President?

What if the elected president was gay would his partner be called 'First
Gentleman'?

   Or "First Partner?"

But I am curious to know who has decided on the 'First Gentleman' as an
alternative to 'First Lady'?

   How about "First Lord"? :-)