[Lexicog] Re: First Lady

Claire Bowern bowern at RICE.EDU
Tue Oct 24 13:32:58 UTC 2006

> A more important question is whether such redefinitions of “marriage” (in
> this case “husband”), which I reject from my Christian convictions, will
> ever enter the law (marital law) and the dictionary.

This has come up a lot in the US over the last few years, with laws
seeking to *define* marriage as between one man and one woman (the
phrasing is one I'm reproducing from memory, but it's almost always
framed that way). There was a vote in Texas within the last year that
wrote this definition of marriage into the Texas constitution. These
debates have, for the most part, been based on the assumption that the
legal and lexicographic definitions of marriage are the same, and that
the issue is simply one of morals (which it isn't, by any means). There
was a post or two on Language Log (www.languagelog.org) about the
wording of the legislation and semantics.

Incidentally, I got married in Cambridge, Massachusetts shortly after
the legislation allowing same sex marriages was passed. Some of the many
forms we filled out at the council office had "Party A" and "Party B"
where "husband" and "wife" had been, while at least one had "husband"
and "wife" crossed out and Party A/B substituted.

Claire

    mailto:lexicographylist-digest at yahoogroups.com
    mailto:lexicographylist-fullfeatured at yahoogroups.com