[Lexicog] embiggen

Kenneth C. Hill kennethchill at YAHOO.COM
Thu Oct 26 14:17:47 UTC 2006

Perhaps "embig" on the pattern of "enlarge"? --Ken

Michael Nicholas <mrnicholas007 at yahoo.es> wrote:
Dear Tim,
   Isn't there a certain tendency to put em instead of en in front of the word because it begins with B? embattle/embank/ emblemish etc.? So embolden and enlighten. In this case enlighten is  - of course - not to make a load less heavy, and  it was needed because it added a new meaning to lighten. I think embiggen is due to the em rather than en before  B and even so widen from wide etc. Ithink we have something on the lines of entrap/ensnare for trap/snare.(verbs).

Tim Gaved <tim_gaved at sil.org> escribió:
          Michael,

  But note embolden – to make bolder, and enlighten.

  The first was probably the model, as “emboldens the  heart” is a recognisable collocation, albeit infrequent or perhaps archaic. It generates a small number of hits in Google.

    Tim Gaved
  SIL Senegal

LLama Gratis a cualquier PC del Mundo.
http://es.voice.yahoo.com