[Lexicog] embiggen

Sebastian Drude sebadru at ZEDAT.FU-BERLIN.DE
Thu Oct 26 16:40:17 UTC 2006

Thank you, Kenneth,
> Two examples that come to mind of en- creating an intransitive verb
> from a noun are enlist, encyst, though both of these verbs can also be
> used transitively.
If one could show that the intransitive sense is the basic one, that
would be one more argument against /em-/en-/ as carrier of the sense
component "to make".

What I was looking for are derivations of intransitive verbs (possibly
with the meaning "to become X") exactly WITHOUT /em-/en-/.
I probably caused a confusion by mentionning the verbalizing SUFfix
/-en/ (as in /widen/) in this context, easily confused with the prefix
in question.

Sebastian