[Lexicog] Re: embiggen

John Roberts dr_john_roberts at SIL.ORG
Sat Oct 28 11:37:35 UTC 2006

Rudy,

The semantic formalisms I presented are standard RRG representations of the
logical structures of verbs. Classifying verbs into state, activity,
achievement, semelfactive, accomplishment and active accomplishment is based
on the work of Vendler (1957, 1967) and Dowty (1979). I don't know of a
dictionary that applies these classifications.

I agree. Verbs like 'lengthen' and 'widen' allow for both the inchoative
interpretation [+telic] and the process interpretation [-punctual].
So the representations should be:
BECOME long' (y)
E.g. The days lengthen over the summer.
BECOME wide' (y)
E.g. The motorway widens around Birmingham.

I put my LSs together too quickly and I was having trouble with saying
something like "x lengthened in an hour".

Do you have a reference on the Michael Hammond article?

Why is EN-___-EN a circumfix? I understood that a circumfix is a unitary
affix (i.e. a morpheme) that is realised by both a prefix and a suffix. With
EN-___-EN you have a prefix with a Latinate origin and a suffix with an OE
origin that presumably have come into the English language at different
times. You also have examples of the prefix EN- without -EN and -EN without
EN-, which indicates they can function independently of each other. E.g.

to light vt "to give light to"
to lighten vt "to make light, lighter or brighter"
to enlight vt "to shed light on"
to enlighten vt "to lighten or shed light on"

(Taken from my Chambers English dictionary.)

You said EN-___-EN is a favorite problem example that has been around in
linguistics workbooks for 50 years. Curious I haven't seen it. What is the
solution?

John Roberts

    mailto:lexicographylist-digest at yahoogroups.com
    mailto:lexicographylist-fullfeatured at yahoogroups.com