[Lexicog] Awet í project (was: buzzwor ds ...)

Sebastian Drude sebadru at ZEDAT.FU-BERLIN.DE
Sun Oct 29 15:10:02 UTC 2006

Hallo Fritz,

I come from Hannover but live between Berlin and Belém for some 8 years now.

 > I am based in Bamako/Mali, West Africa

That sounds nice.  I love music from Mali, especially Salif Keita
("Moffou" is one of my all-time-favoreds), but there ought to me much
similar and possibly even better malian music out there that I am not
aware of...  Luckily, Brazil is a place with plenty of good music, too.

 > ... and am a Bible translation consultant.

Yes, I saw your SIL-address and also guessed it by our comment on
same-sex-marriages.

> What do you do in the Aweti project?

This was one of the DOBES (Documentation of Endangered Language)
projects funded 2001-2005 by the Volkswagen Foundation, so the focus in
the last years was to collect and compile a large digital corpus of
audio and video tapings of natural language use, with at least a
transcription and a translation (later more detailed linguistic
annotation such as 'glossings', lexical and unit categories etc. will be
added to a selected part of the corpus).

There is a project description with more explanation and several nice
photographs at

	http://www.mpi.nl/DOBES/projects/aweti

A popular description (in German) of my Awetí work can be read at
	http://www.elfenbeinturm.net/archiv/2001/lust3.html ,
and an account of the work-flow and methodological / technical aspects
of the Awetí Language Documentation Project (in English) at:
	http://emeld.org/workshop/2003/paper-drude.html .

In a couple of days or so one should be able to browse the metadata of
the Awetí archive (some 175 hours of tapings, with ca. 45 hours at least
transcribed in Awetí) at
	http://www.mpi.nl/DOBES/archive_access/
Currently, there is just a preliminary version dating from 2003.
If there is interest, I can post a message when the updated version of
the metadata is on-line.

Access to the data itself is mostly still restricted, in particular in
order to give me the opportunity to work first on an exhaustive
description of the language, which is the next step of my work on Awetí.

Thanks for your interest,
und bis denne,

Sebastian

    mailto:lexicographylist-digest at yahoogroups.com