[Lexicog] lists of 'scalars' in dictionaries

John Roberts dr_john_roberts at SIL.ORG
Mon Oct 30 08:32:34 UTC 2006

Dear Janus,

One book I know of which deals with this kind of thing is: "The New First
Aid in English" (1986) by Angus Maciver, published by Robert Gibson,
Glasgow. It says it gives both speakers and students of English guidance in
the use of English and it covers many areas of English vocabulary, e.g.
number, gender, group terms, similes, sounds of animals, classifications,
etc. It also has a section on "gradation", which is what you are calling
"scalar". In this section it gives lists of words and asks the reader to
grade each group. E.g.

(sound) giggled, laughed, smiled, guffawed, chuckled
(speed) strode, galloped, trotted, cantered, walked

This book also has a section on parts of speech defined in traditional
terms, e.g. a noun is the name of a person, place or thing, a verb is a
"doing" word, etc. You shouldn't follow this methodology for defining parts
of speech in your dictionary.

Re. the term "scalar" one meaning of this is 'one item on a scale', and you
could use this term to refer to the particular lexical item. But to invoke
the associated scalars I would suggest "scale".

John Roberts

John R Roberts
SIL International Linguistics Consultant
dr_john_roberts at sil.org

    mailto:lexicographylist-digest at yahoogroups.com
    mailto:lexicographylist-fullfeatured at yahoogroups.com