[Lexicog] lists of 'scalars' in dictionaries

Wayne Leman wayne_leman at SIL.ORG
Mon Oct 30 16:08:35 UTC 2006

Louis, this is a good question. And displaying the scalar value with draggable scrollbars is a nice idea.

I have tried to indicate the scalar values of similar groups of words in our Cheyenne dictionary.

Scalar sounds like an appropriate label to me. The semantic categrory label I have used in the Cheyenne dictionary is "degree". Perhaps some list readers will have ideas about advantages of using one of these labels or the other one. Or maybe they will have an idea for another label.

Wayne
-----
Wayne Leman
Cheyenne dictionary online:
http://www11.asphost4free.com/cheyennedictionary/default.htm

  Dear list members,

  I am writing a new dictionary for learners of
  Norwegian. One approach I will take is to offer
  lists (or actually computer draggable scrollbars)
  showing various relationships among words in the
  dictionary. For example, I want to present the
  choice of words expressing size, from very tiny
  to gigantic (if it were English). Also I think
  showing the Norwegian words and expressions for
  time (parts of the day, yesterday, tomorrow, in a
  week, a week ago) with this kind of manipulable
  graphic would be very helpful for students. I've
  developed a 'timeline' of usual and significant
  life events (from birth, through baptism, school,
  marriage, retirement, death...) in Norwegian.

  Now, in addition to giving away all my trade
  secrets :) , I wish to ask if anyone knows of
  printed (or computer?) lists in any language
  showing these kinds of relationships.

  I am sorry I don't even know what I should call
  these relationships - I used "scalar" for lack
  knowledge of a better word.

  Takk på forhånd -- thanks in advance.

  Louis Janus
  --
  Louis Janus
  Less Commonly Taught Languages (LCTL) Project
  LCTL at umn.edu or janus005 at umn.edu
  http://www.carla.umn.edu/LCTL
  http://www.carla.umn.edu/about/profiles/janus.html