[Lexicog] Re: lists of 'scalars' in dictionaries

bolstar1 bolstar1 at YAHOO.COM
Mon Oct 30 22:23:17 UTC 2006

--- In lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com, louis janus <janus005 at ...>
wrote:

> Dear list members,
>
> I am writing a new dictionary for learners of
> Norwegian. One approach I will take is to offer
> lists (or actually computer draggable scrollbars)
> showing various relationships among words in the
> dictionary. For example, I want to present the
> choice of words expressing size, from very tiny
> to gigantic (if it were English). Also I think
> showing the Norwegian words and expressions for
> time (parts of the day, yesterday, tomorrow, in a
> week, a week ago) with this kind of manipulable
> graphic would be very helpful for students. I've
> developed a 'timeline' of usual and significant
> life events (from birth, through baptism, school,
> marriage, retirement, death...) in Norwegian.
>
> Now, in addition to giving away all my trade
> secrets :) , I wish to ask if anyone knows of
> printed (or computer?) lists in any language
> showing these kinds of relationships.
>
> I am sorry I don't even know what I should call
> these relationships - I used "scalar" for lack
> knowledge of a better word.
> Louis -- The best book I've seen in English that organizes the
language into groupings and subject matter is 'Word Menu" by Stephen
Glazier(published by Random House - 1997). Very well organized and
compiled. William Safire says of Glazier "...a modern Roget." L.A.
Weekly says of it "...destined to take its place beside the thesarus
and the dictionary as a classic." I have to concur...Other than your
traditionally good thesauri, I've never seen such a well-conceived,
well-designed, and well-written thesaurus. (By the way, I don't work
for Random House -- lol)
Good luck in your work...
Scott N.

    mailto:lexicographylist-digest at yahoogroups.com