[Lexicog] Unwanted adverts

Mike Maxwell maxwell at LDC.UPENN.EDU
Tue Oct 31 22:54:33 UTC 2006

List moderator wrote:
> Unfortunately not, John. It's a "feature" of Yahoo Groups.
>
>     For a while now messages from the Lexicog list have been coming to
>     me with a
>     column of Yahoo adverts down the righthand side. I find this annoying
>     especially when they cover the message itself. Is there a way of not
>     having this?

Don't tell Yahoo, but your email client may support blocking or ignoring
those msgs.

In my case, I use the freeware Thunderbird email client.  In the Options
dlg, on the Privacy tab there's a check-box for "Block loading of remote
images in mail messages".  I think the purpose of this is so the sender
can't find out whether you've read the email, but it also works to turn
any pictures into simple URLs that you can ignore quite easily, thank you.

If this isn't enough, another setting in TBird, this one under the View
| Message Body as... menu item, has three choices: HTML, Simple HTML,
and Plain Text.  The latter even gets rid of (in the display) the URLs
that are intended to call up the images from Yahoo, although it leaves
hyperlinks inside text msgs as hyperlinks.

Outlook (not sure about Outlook Express) has a similar setting, to
display html msgs as plain text.  This means you won't see someone's
nicely formatted html msg in its nice formatting, but I've never let
that stop me.  (Outlook also tries to remove extra blank lines, but I'm
not sure it does that very well.)

Like I say, don't anyone tell Yahoo!
--
	Mike Maxwell