[Lexicog] Cheyenne dictionary and blog

Michael Cahill Mike_Cahill at SIL.ORG
Tue Sep 5 15:47:16 UTC 2006

HI Claire,

I've let our programmers know about your review of FieldWorks (the Lexical
Explorer part of it), and the concerns you noted. As you said in your blog,
what you tested was a beta version, and at least some of your concerns have
been addressed already. For one thing, on complexity of use, there are
different levels that are displayable, so a local language helper can just
type in words. Period. Or words and glosses. Or information in 20 different
categories, if he wants.... It's very flexible as to assuming the level of
linguistic sophistication of the user. The other major thing I wanted to
mention is the output. It's possible to do a reverse gloss, an index. A lot
of dictionaries I've seen have the format Boko-English, where as you say,
the Boko is the head word, with explication in English. But there's also a
"finder index", giving an English word (gloss) and then a pointer to the
fuller Boko entry. That's what's possible in the current FieldWorks.
Finally, they've also incorporated some rapid data-entry methodology, at
least for a first pass at stuffing the lexicon full of words. It'll be
ready for a general release by the end of this year.

As for Stative being a "tense", well, yeah, I'll see if that's been
corrected yet...

Mike Cahill

Claire Bowern <bowern at rice.edu>
Sent by: lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com

08/30/2006 11:16 PM

Thanks Wayne!
I should have mentioned at the time that I recently reviewed
_Fieldworks_ on my blog:
http://anggarrgoon.wordpress.com/2006/08/11/fieldworks-software/
and I'm serialising parts of my field methods textbook on the site. I'd
very much welcome comments from list members here, on the blog or off-list.
Best wishes,
Claire (anggarrgoon)