[Lexicog] Cheyenne dictionary and blog

Ron Moe ron_moe at SIL.ORG
Wed Sep 6 08:53:57 UTC 2006

There are two options for improving the vernacular-finder list version of a
“bilingual” dictionary. One is to develop two dictionary projects in either
Toolbox or FieldWorks. The big limitation to this approach is that it is
difficult to link the two in any meaningful way. For instance if you wanted
to ensure that each word referenced in one side existed in the other, there
would be no way to automatically do so. It would be nice if we had a
software package designed for a fully bilingual L1-L2 L2-L1 dictionary.

The other option is already available in both Toolbox and FieldWorks, but
FieldWorks is developing the system a bit better. This is to produce a
finder list that has reversal entries that are more than a single word. For
instance if your reversal entries consisted of:

\lx hi

\re come

(etc)

… you would get the following:

come  hi

come  u

come  gli

come  ku

come  hiyu

In Toolbox you can give a fuller reversal entry:

\lx hi

\re come (to have come here)

(etc)

…which would produce the following:

come (to have come here)  hi

come (to be coming here)  u

come (to have come back here)  gli

come (to be coming back here)  ku

come (to start coming)  hiyu

In FieldWorks they are developing (or possibly already have) a hierarchical
system that enables you to nest reversal entries under a headword. It also
enables you to add a POS for the English word. I don’t know exactly what it
will look like, but I believe it will be something like the following:

come vi.

   to have come here  hi

   to be coming here  u

   to have come back here  gli

   to be coming back here  ku

   to start coming  hiyu

This still isn’t a L2-L1 dictionary, but it is better than the first option
above.

Ron Moe

   _____