[Lexicog] TshwaneLex trialware

neduchi at NETSCAPE.NET neduchi at NETSCAPE.NET
Sat Sep 9 08:03:24 UTC 2006

 Dear David,
 THanks very much for this NECESSARY clarification.

 I DID use your web form to make my request. It was thereafter that you got in touch with me with the "paid
 support and backup service along with the software license". But I was interested ONLY in the academic license. I even explained to you that I WAS READY TO UNDERSIGN LEGAL DOCUMENTS THAT SHOULD MAKE ME PAY FOR THE COMMERCIAL LICENSE IF I GO COMMERCIAL. Nothing came of this.

 However, I am happy about the 'new' piece of information, the evaluation version. I shall now go back to your website and first make the request for the evaluation version as you explained. I hope to make ANOTHER request for the ACADEMIC version.

 All the best,
 Chinedu Uchechukwu
 Otto-Friedrich-Universität, Bamberg.

 -----Original Message-----
 From: david.joffe at tshwanedje.com
 To: lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
 Sent: Thu, 7 Sep 2006 5:29 PM
 Subject: Re: [Lexicog] TshwaneLex trialware

 I'd like to clarify here, as this post by Chinedu gives several
 false impressions. Firstly, we at no stage requested that data had
 to be sent to us or 'uploaded to our servers' - we do not do this!
 TshwaneLex is an off-the-shelf product and most of our clients
 manage their own data entirely - we definitely do not expect clients
 to send us data unless absolutely necessary. At the time, based on
 your enquiries, we made an OPTIONAL offer to include some paid
 support and backup service along with the software license, but you
 were welcome to take just the license. Secondly, I don't understand
 your remark that "nothing came of it" when you "tried" to obtain
 TshwaneLex, as our website has for years had an order form on it
 ('open 24 hrs a day, 365 days a year') - you've just never filled it
 in.

 Also, we do make (and have always made) low-cost academic (non-
 commercial) licenses available, as well as low-cost licenses for
 those working on endangered languages. Academic licenses can be
 ordered anytime through our online order form, so it's false to
 state that TshwaneLex is "not for academics". We have many academic
 license users.

 At the time you enquired about TshwaneLex, we did not have
 evaluation versions available, but we have more recently started
 making evaluation versions available - if you're interested, they
 can be requested via our website contact form.

 - David

 --
 TshwaneDJe Human Language Technology
 http://tshwanedje.com/