[Lexicog] Re: Coinage of 'in a pinch'

Nick Miller nick.miller at CZECH-TRANSLATION.COM
Thu Sep 14 13:29:54 UTC 2006

Hi,

I'm not sure what you mean by the 'original form'. To my ears as BrE these
constitute or are part of different phrases:
'We can do it at a pinch' - manage something with difficulty
'I'm in a pinch' - difficult situation
I don't know about origins though.
Nick Miller

    mailto:lexicographylist-digest at yahoogroups.com