Secondary entries (was Re: [Lexicog] Query on how to deal with coined words)

Ron Moe ron_moe at SIL.ORG
Wed Apr 4 19:37:06 UTC 2007

It is very difficult to maintain two identical copies of a subentry. It is
too easy to make a change in one and forget to make it in the other. So we
don't recommend duplicating the entry in the database. It is best to
maintain a single entry and duplicate it as necessary when you are ready to
print.

Generally we recommend that complex forms such as derivatives, compounds,
and phrases be presented in a published dictionary as main entries. The
exception would be if you want to produce a root dictionary. In this case
all complex forms are presented as subentries under the root. Some
lexicographers like to present complex forms as main entries, but also
cross-reference them to the root. Using the \cf field as you suggest below
is a way to achieve this. The other way is maintain the complex forms as
main entries, but also create minor subentries under the root using the \se
field. If you use MDF to print your dictionary, the two strategies will
print differently.

If you want phrases to be formatted as subentries, then you have to decide
whether they will appear under all the roots, just some of the roots, or
just one root. If you want a phrase to appear under more than one root,
there are two ways to accomplish it with Shoebox/Toolbox: (1) Maintain the
phrase as a subentry (using the \se field) under one root. Then when you are
ready to print, copy the subentry into each of the other roots. (2) Maintain
the phrase as a main entry. Then when you are ready to print, transform the
phrase entry into a subentry, duplicate it for each root, and place the
copies under each root. There are ways to automate each approach, but they
aren't easy.

The FieldWorks program requires you to set up a separate entry in the
database for each complex form. But it also allows you to link each complex
form to its root(s). Then when it comes time to print, you can specify if
you want the complex forms to be formatted as main entries, subentries, or
both. So FieldWorks is a "smarter" program and provides more options.

Ron