[Lexicog] CC: Powerful but complex (was Re: Secondary entries (was Re: [Lexicog]

Greg Aumann Greg_Aumann at SIL.ORG
Fri Apr 13 02:48:24 UTC 2007

Vincent `Bentong` S. Isles wrote:
> I agree with you on both counts (power and complexity), but I am only
> happy with the power and not with the complexity :).

Another option to using CC to manipulate toolbox databases in useful
ways is to use the toolbox module of the Natural Language Toolkit. This
involves programming in the Python programming language. Few people
outside of SIL know CC but Python is pretty widely known in computing
circles. This means you probably will have a wider pool of people that
you can call on for help. If you have ever done any programming then
Python is pretty simple to learn.

Natural Language Toolkit is found here http://nltk.sourceforge.net/
A tutorial introduction to the toolbox module is
http://nltk.sourceforge.net/lite/doc/en/data.html (skip down to 13.4
Processing Toolbox Data).
There is further documentation in the api documentation but begin with
the tutorial.

Greg

    mailto:lexicographylist-digest at yahoogroups.com
    mailto:lexicographylist-fullfeatured at yahoogroups.com