Secondary entries (was Re: [Lexicog] Query on how to deal with coined words)

Vincent `Bentong` S. Isles bentong.isles at GMAIL.COM
Fri Apr 13 03:09:24 UTC 2007

Norbert,

Here are some records after pre-processing:

\lx abad
\ge abbot
\bw sp

\lx abag
\ge help

\lx dakbayan
\ge city
\et DAKong BAYAN

\lx kabalaka
\ge worry
\mr ka-balaka

\lx kasub-anan
\ge sadness
\mr ka-subo-anan

\lx ploresen
\ge flourescent
\bw en

\lx enter
\ge enter
\bw en

\lx karatula
\ge poster
\bw sp fi:caratula

The expected output would be:

\lx abad
\sr sp

\lx abag

\lx dakbayan
\sr DAKong BAYAN

\lx kabalaka

\lx kasub-anan
\sr ka-subo-anan

\lx ploresen
\sr en fi:flourescent

\lx enter
\sr en

\lx karatula
\sr sp fi:caratula

I'll appreciate any help you can offer :)

--Bentong Isles

--- In lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com, Norbert Rennert
<norbert.rennert at ...> wrote:

> Vincent,
>
> This is an interesting challenge. If you send me a couple of records
> which contain all the possible combinations of fields (or at least most
> of them), I'll take a stab at it.
>
> Norbert Rennert
>

> Vincent `Bentong` S. Isles wrote:
> >
> > Hi Mike,
> >
> > I had hoped to use CC to automate the production of what I call the
> > "spelling rationale" (\sr) field.
> >
> > A single entry may have any of these fields: \et, \bw, \mr, but never
> > two or three of them.
> >
> > The logic is this:
> > * If \et is present then it becomes \sr.
> > * If \mr is present and it is different from \lx after stripping \lx
> > of hyphens, then it becomes \sr.
> > * If \bw is present:
> > ** If the first parameter is "en":
> > *** If \ge!= \lx then \sr = "en" + ge; else \sr = "en"
> > ** else \sr = \bw
> >
> > I hope you did get lost with that logic because I was not able to
> > translate it to CC statements. I guess I'm not very good with
computers :(

> > The \sr field gets formatted as follows:
> >
> > aba (native word: no \sr field)
> > abaka [Tag] (Tagalog word borrowed as is)
> > amatyur [Eng fi:amateur] (English word borrowed with change in sp)
> > kasub-anan [ka-SUBO-anan] (derived word with the root not so obvious)
> >
> > This is for the "Cebuano Spelling Dictionary", a stripped-down version
> > of the "Modern Cebuano Dictionary".
> >
> > Thanks for the offer on the parser, but I think I don't have the cash
> > for the xerox tools.
> >
> > For now I've stopped work on that part of the project.
> >
> > Thanks for the information. :)
> >
> > --Bentong Isles
[snip]

    mailto:lexicographylist-digest at yahoogroups.com