[Lexicog] Time is money?

Fritz Goerling Fritz_Goerling at SIL.ORG
Mon Aug 6 21:47:41 UTC 2007

Ron,

In other cultures one might “waste one’s time” by getting right down to
business.

I recommend the following, humorously written, useful cross-cultural studies
about different cultural values

(etiquette, gestures, notions of time and punctuality):

Peter Collett, Foreign Bodies: A-Z of European Mannerisms

Polly Platt, French or Foe?

Fritz

  _____

Thank you for your helpful answer, Ron,

Fritz

Because conceptual metaphors underlie many idioms and secondary
("metaphorical") senses, I believe we need to identify the conceptual
metaphors that exist in a language and refer to them in our dictionary
entries. It might be possible, for instance, to include an appendix that
lists the conceptual metaphors and gives a list of examples under each:

Appendix A: Conceptual Metaphors

1. Time is a resource that you use.

waste time

save time

have time

cost (number) (time word), e.g. cost two hours

invested time in

time to spare

(run) out of time

Then each relevant dictionary entry could reference the appendix:

waste v. To use something without gaining any benefit from it. 'Leaving the
lights on all night wastes electricity.' (Using the metaphor 'Time is a
resource that you use', see Appendix A) 'I don't want to waste your time, so
let's get right down to business.'

Note that I don't consider the second example sentence to be a separate
sense. The meaning is the same. It is just applied to time as if time was a
resource. We can talk this way in English because of the conceptual
metaphor. Other languages can't. Our conceptual metaphor enables us to
include the abstract concept 'time' in the list of possible objects of
'waste' which would otherwise be limited to concrete resources. Consequently
I don't consider 'waste time' to be an idiom, but others might disagree with
me on this point.

Ron Moe

  _____