[Lexicog] sub-morphemic particles??

Fritz Goerling Fritz_Goerling at SIL.ORG
Fri Feb 23 13:00:10 UTC 2007

In German we distinguish between Papst (the pontiff) and Pope (=
Greek-Orthodox priest).
It seems to me that in English "papal" refers to the authority of the office
of
the Pope, "popish" to behavior. In German we have an expression "er ist
päpstlicher als der Papst" = someone behaves more popish than the Pope.
The French would say "plus royaliste que roi" (more royalist than the
king").
Is there are corresponding expression in English?

Fritz Goerling

Helge Gundersen wrote:

And what about the relationship between "pope"
and "papal"? It doesn't confirm to the descriptions of derivational
morphology commonly found (it't not regular), and "pape" is not a
variety of "pope" on its own.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/kOt0.A/gOaOAA/yQLSAA/HKE4lB/TM

    mailto:lexicographylist-digest at yahoogroups.com
    mailto:lexicographylist-fullfeatured at yahoogroups.com