[Lexicog] words for different kinds of laughter

donald pepper lanod13 at YAHOO.COM
Sat Feb 24 04:24:25 UTC 2007

  laughter is a form of expression when no words are available.

Fritz Goerling <Fritz_Goerling at sil.org> wrote:

  I am interested in how different kinds of laughter are expressed in different languages and what principles (of word formation, onomatopoeia, etc.) are followed in building these words.
  Some examples from English and German:

  English                                German

  to chuckle                            glucksen (not an exact equivalent)
  to giggle                               kichern
  to cackle                              gackern
  to snicker/snigger              ?
  to titter                                  one would have to describe it by a paraphrase or show it

  What elements enter into play as differentiating factors? Who does what, when, under which circumstances?
  Agent (individual or group; gender), patient (absence or presence), differences in rank (social situation)?

  Fritz Goerling