[Lexicog] sub-morphemic particles??

donald pepper lanod13 at YAHOO.COM
Sat Feb 24 03:47:20 UTC 2007

"Oh" my that is a neat pile of something or other.
but if you kick it it might be a wicket, and the you may have
to stand for cricket. or just flicket.
  dp

Kim Blewett <kim_blewett at sil.org> wrote:
          At the risk of a thump by a frumpy old grump, can I dump a clump of mud on the old rotting stump, to make a bigger hump? Can you get mumps from a lumpy clump or a humpy stump?

chump n. A stupid or foolish person; a dolt. [Perhaps blend of CHUNK and LUMP or STUMP ]

Sorry, I couldn't resist...
Kim

Richard Rhodes wrote:     ...

          with 40% being unanalyzable. That's about par for the course. The work is still in its infancy. We haven't done enough with the rhymes yet to know where that will go, so we don't have the good contrasts with rhymes like

          bump    unmarked

          hump    big(ger) bump

          lump    essentially removable bump

  Margaret Manus does something more abstract than we do. I'm sympathetic, but I believe there is a lot more that can be done concretely with a better semantics. (For example, we discovered that schieben implies the moving object must be in contact with a surface, something heretofore unnoticed -- and not true of the English cognate shove.)

  Rich Rhodes

  Beware! There are some who compare all the rare and solitaire pairs of words and declare they share some component. Coincidence! Their arguments are threadbare affairs. Blare and glare may scare you. But welfare and repair mean I care. When did you ever have a fair nightmare? Do mares flare? You can cruelly snare an innocent hare. Where does a hare live? In a lair? How do children fare in childcare? I may stare at the way you wear your hair. If my heir dares to swear I may despair. If he does, I'll impair his bare behind. You can repair a stair or tear down a chair. You can pare a pair of pears.
  I dare you to use your software to find where there are square paradigms. Prepare your pairs. Air your views. Spare no expense. If there is a pattern, I'm not aware of it. So there!

  Ron Moe