[Lexicog] words for different kinds of laughter

Fritz Goerling Fritz_Goerling at SIL.ORG
Sat Feb 24 12:33:30 UTC 2007

Andrew,

You seem to be anglophone. If you can give me a few contexts where “guffaw”
is used to describe the kind of laughter, then I might come up with an
equivalent in German.

In an answer to Donald Pepper, I guessed it is used of men in a group. I
could imagine the “loud laughter” to be a hearty belly-laugh,

or the men slapping their thighs, or a “wieherndes Lachen” (a loud neighing
kind of laugh, usually used negatively), or a “brüllendes Lachen” (roaring
).

Am I right in assuming that “guffaw” is only used of “men?”

I assume that the audience of a Mr. Bean film would more tend to guffaw when
watching Rowan Atkinson playing

in “Johnny English” (a spoof on James Bond movies) the master spy ending up
as the King of England, then they would about  Peter Sellers in a “Pink
Panther” movie.

Fritz Goerling

On 2/23/07, Fritz Goerling <Fritz_Goerling@ <mailto:Fritz_Goerling at sil.org>