[Lexicog] words for different kinds of laughter

Fritz Goerling Fritz_Goerling at SIL.ORG
Sat Feb 24 22:47:05 UTC 2007

Shalom Hayim,

Proverbs 17:22 says in the King James version: "A merry heart doeth good
like a medicine."

Your Greek saying giving that role to "time" has a German equivalent in "Die
Zeit heilt alle Wunden"

(= time heals all wounds).

Greetings, Fritz

Fritz--

<"Laughter is the best medicine" (free translation from "Proverbs" in the
Bible)>, what verse of Proverbs is it?

The formulation in your translation looks as a parallel to old Greek

saying: Ho chronos farmakon estin (The time is the best medicine).

! Hayim Sheynin

Fritz Goerling <Fritz_Goerling at sil.org> wrote:

True, Donald, but I am interested in "Who does what, when, under which
circumstances?

Agent (individual or group; gender), patient (absence or presence),
differences in rank (social situation)?"

I am also interested in cross-cultural "false friends."

Therefore I asked a group of Anglophones (Irish, English, American) to act
out different kinds of laughing, and also who would laugh like that in what
circumstances or contexts. That was funny in itself.

"to giggle", they all said, would happen in a group of young girls (German
"kichern" is the exact equivalent)

"to cackle" (a kind of mischievous laughter) could be associated with a
witch. That is not the case with German "gackern" (or French "caqueter")
which is said of hens. "To guffaw" (a loud roaring laughter) seems to be
said of a group of men; in German it would have to be paraphrased, maybe
depending upon context by "wiehernd lachen" ("wiehern" is the sound "horses"
make).

"glucksen" in German ("glousser" in French), associated with "hens,"
obviously is not the equivalent of "to chuckle." The latter has been called
"the most human kind of laughter."

"Ho ho" (Santa Claus kind of laugh), "Ha ha," ("Ha ha, I got you" or said
sarcastically when a joke did not seem funny) reproduce different kinds of
laughter.

"Laughter is the best medicine" (free translation from "Proverbs" in the
Bible),

Fritz Goerling

Donald Pepper wrote:

laughter is a form of expression when no words are available.

Fritz Goerling <Fritz_Goerling at sil.org> wrote:

I am interested in how different kinds of laughter are expressed in
different languages and what principles (of word formation, onomatopoeia,
etc.) are followed in building these words! .!

Some examples from English and German:

English                                German

to chuckle                            glucksen (not an exact equivalent)

to giggle                               kichern

to cackle              ! ;                gackern

to snicker/snigger              ?

to titter                                  one would have to describe it by
a paraphrase or show it

What elements enter into play as differentiating factors? Who does what,
when, under which circumstances?

Agent (individual or group; gender), patient (absence or presence),
differences in rank (social situation)?

Fritz Goerling

  _____

We won't tell. Get more on shows