[Lexicog] words for different kinds of laughter

Sun Feb 25 02:07:07 UTC 2007

Although I don't know much about the principles of onomatopoeia, Andrew
Chang's _A Thesaurus of Japanese Mimesis and Onomatopoeia: Usage by
Categories_ is an excellent resource. Not only does he have a
categorized table of contents with the entire book divided into
logically constructed chapters, there is a bilingual index and a host of
cross-references throughout the book. The best feature, though, is the
examples. Because of the huge advantage Japanese has over English in
onomatopoeia, it's difficult for non-native speakers of Japanese to
learn correct onomatopoeic usage, and the examples do an excellent job
of contextualizing the situation indicated.

As can be seen from the examples below, reduplication is common. Small
tsu generally shortens, eliminates or devoices the final vowel. If
followed by a consonant, small tsu causes gemination.

Here are the ones on laughter:

1. ufufu   said of an involuntary, subdued laugh/chuckle
2. karakara   to laugh heartily (said of a masculine type of laugh)
3. kusukusu   to titter, snicker (said of furtive laughter)
4. kukku(+ small tsu)   to laugh as if stifling the laughter welling up
in one's throat (mostly for young girls)
5. kuku(+ small tsu)   same as kukku(+ small tsu), but a somewhat drawn
out suppressed laugh, while kukku(+ small tsu) is more of a short
stifled giggle. The principle dividing these two probably has to do with
the extra genitive in kukku indicating less drawing out.
6. ketaketa   to laugh foolishly (said of noisy and uproarious laughter
especially by men, often out of place and in poor taste)
7. getageta   to laugh uncouthly with a lower and flatter tone than
ketaketa (emphasizing the vulgar speech). Voice vs. unvoiced.
8. kerakera   to cackle (said of shrill, frivolous laughter)
9. geragera   said of unstrained, boisterous laughter; a guffaw. Voice
vs. unvoiced.
10. kerokero   to laugh happily as if nothing has happened.
11. kotokoto   a soft, happy laugh
12. korokoro   said of a young woman's laughter
13. niko(+ small tsu)/nikori   to flash a smile
14. nikoniko   to smile happily and warmly
15. nitanita   to simper, to laugh maliciously (with the nuance of
dubious joy or pleasure)
16. nita(+ small tsu), nitari   a brief smile of scheming or thinking
oneself lucky at heart
17. ni(+ small tsu)   a smug smile of self-satisfaction
18. nikkori   said of a smile stronger than niko(+small tsu)/nikori.
Here, the genitive is probably making this stronger.
19. niya(+small tsu)/niyari   a grin of delight (said of a single smile
that unconsciously appears at the moment one thinks all has gone well);
to laugh up one's sleeve
20. niyaniya   to grin (showing the teeth); to simper (with a nuance of
being vlugar, repugnant)
21 .ninmari   to smile a satisfied smile
22. hahha(+small tsu)   to chortle (said of the sound of a merry laugh
and for men only). hohho(+small tsu) for women.
23. pu(+small tsu)   a sudden burst of laughter
24. fuffu(+small tsu)   to laugh under one's breath
25. hehhe(+small tsu)   a haughty or mean-spirited laugh; to laugh servilely
26. herahera   a dubious laugh (said of a laugh when one is embarrassed
or when one wants to deceive others)

I hope these are helpful. I can provide any particular sample sentences
that are needed. BB.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/hOt0.A/lOaOAA/yQLSAA/HKE4lB/TM

    mailto:lexicographylist-digest at yahoogroups.com
    mailto:lexicographylist-fullfeatured at yahoogroups.com