[Lexicog] deciding on the citation form

Jim & Cindi Farr j-c.farr at SIL.ORG.PG
Sun Feb 25 08:15:55 UTC 2007

In addition to Bartholomew and Schoenhals, Len Newell from the Philippines
has also written a Handbook on Lexicography. Here are two URL's on the web
where you can find information for ordering his handbook.

Newell, Leonard E. 1995 Handbook on lexicography for Philippine and other
languages  URL:http://www.ethnologue.com/show_work.asp?id=40157

 This is the html version of the file
http://seasrc.th.net/sealex/Inglis_CogGramDict.pdf.
G o o g l e automatically generates html versions of documents as we crawl
the web.
To link to or bookmark this page, use the following url:
http://www.google.com/search?q=cache:o6knkuJZN-4J:seasrc.th.net/sealex/Inglis_CogGramDict.pdf+Newell+Lexicography&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=3
Newell 1995
      Citation Newell, Leonard E. 1995. Handbook on lexicography for
Philippine and other languages. Linguistic Society of the Philippines,
Special Monograph Issue, 36. Manila: Linguistic Society of the Philippines.
x, 368 p.
      Author  Newell, Leonard E.

      Serial Linguistic Society of the Philippines Special Monograph Issue
[indexed serial name]

      Subject  Lexicography

      Country  Philippines

      Entry number 40157

Here is a bit of a testimonial from our experience. If you're helping an
ethnic group to compile their own dictionary, the wishes of the group should
certainly be used as one of the criteria.

For the Korafe in Papua New Guinea, we wanted to use the immediate
imperative form which is itself just the stem, the short (perfective??)
stem, not the longer (imperfective??) stem.

But the Korafe talk about their verbs, using the infinitive (deverbal) form,
so they felt more comfortable using that form as the citation form, so we've
ended up using the deverbal form.

However, there are three structural types of verbs, those with the short
stem vs1 terminating in i, those terminating in e and those terminating in
u. The infinitive (always terminating in -ari) masks these differences, so
we've included in the TOOLBOX program two paradigm codes: paradigm label
\pdl : vs1 and vs2, and then paradigm verb form  \pdv : a form for each
verb.

Cindi Farr