[Lexicog] words for different kinds of laughter

John Roberts dr_john_roberts at SIL.ORG
Sun Feb 25 11:16:59 UTC 2007

Fritz,

<chuckle>

that is because I have heard this joke before, but when I heard it
before it was number 56. :-)

Laughter is closely connected to humour and different cultures
(languages) will laugh at different things. All cultures laugh and smile
at incongruities and their solutions. But cultural preferences can
affect both the specific content and the perception of incongruities and
their resolutions, as well as the interpretation of the surprise
element. Each culture has its own set of values, norms, and unwritten
rules of what is appropriate in humour, and these largely determine its
content, target, and style. This will determine when and how people
laugh. So you will need to understand the way humour works in a
particular culture if you are going to compare laughter in one
culture/language to that in another. They say humour is one of the
hardest things to translate ...

John

--
John R Roberts