[Lexicog] Defining verbs, etc.

Mike Maxwell maxwell at LDC.UPENN.EDU
Mon Jan 15 18:40:26 UTC 2007

David Tuggy wrote:
> How about a verb such as "elbow", or "knife", or ... ? Would you *not*
> derive it from the noun? It seems quite reasonable to me to say that
> these are monomorphemic, yet still derived. ...
> (Zero-derivation or zero morpheme becomes a bit of notational variation,
> as far as I can see.)

I guess I don't have an opinion.  Etymologically, clearly the verb is
derived from the noun.  Whether there is in the mind of the native
speaker a _derivational_ relation is, in my opinion, hard to tell (and
dependent on your definition of "derivation").  One could get into the
semantic issues here, e.g. "to stone someone" is more than just touching
them or even hitting them with a stone.  So is the verb "stone" derived
from the noun "stone", synchronically?  I don't know.

FWIW, I think English tends to have such noun-verb pairs more than the
other languages I know (although maybe I just don't know them well
enough).

In any case, the original statement (by Rudolph Troike) was
>>> For one thing, those interested in lexical decomposition
>>> recognize that many (perhaps most) verbs consist of a covert
>>> light verb component and a nominal component...

and I don't think that many--certainly not *most*--verbs have such a
null derivation from a noun, if that's what it is.  If I were to go by
the primary meaning and my intuitions (which I'm not sure I would, but
that seems to be the idea here), I would say that for many of the
verb-noun pairs which exist, the relationship in fact goes in the
opposite direction: the noun 'work' seems intuitively less "basic" than
the verb 'work', the noun 'show' less basic than the verb, the noun
'fill' or the adjective 'full' less basic than the verb 'fill', etc.

For many other cases, I think any directionality is debatable,
especially in the synchronic sense.  And it may be that in fact what's
going on is that roots are basic, having some sort of associated meaning
(perhaps a vague one), and that *both* noun and verb lexemes are derived
(in some sense) from the root.  But even if that's true, I wouldn't
think of the resulting verb lexemes as having any kind of light verb
relationship with the root--for one thing, there is no light verb,
there's just a verb; for another, there is no noun, just a root with no
category/POS.

In sum, I'm leery of claims about word derivations that depend entirely
on a perceived semantic relationship, with no visible affix or light
verb, and no way other than intuition of deciding the direction of
derivation.

But perhaps we're wandering too far from lexicography...
--
	Mike Maxwell
	maxwell at ldc.upenn.edu

    mailto:lexicographylist-digest at yahoogroups.com