[Lexicog] Re: When Semantics Doesn't Matter

bolstar1 bolstar1 at YAHOO.COM
Mon Jul 2 15:10:05 UTC 2007

John: Interesting points all. I also am enjoying the discussion. Let
me first say in response that when you deal in phrases (vs. words;
word derivatives; hyphenated words (though this category has
conundrums of its own), you can more easily differentiate types –
simply because a non-spaced unit has to function within certain
categories when collocated with others. Traditionally seven
categories, then moving to eight, then/now to nine). But set-phrases
(vs. created phrases) set-phrases including idiomatic expressions;
proverbs, witticisms/one-liners/axioms, etc. function a little
differently.
     Ironically, I've found set-phrases to be, in the definitional
sense, simpler than words. Though they are compound in form, they
tend to be one-dimensional in function. "What I wouldn't give for an
[ice-cold lemonade]. One could parse the root "lexeme" "what I
wouldn't give" seven ways to Sunday, but the definition is simply "I
want
". Even quotable quotes, like the signature John F. Kennedy
quote "Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do
for your country." There is a whole gamut of parsable forms here, but
definitionally it simply means "don't receive from your country, give
to it". Granted, there are two basic meanings here, but consider the
single, and apparently simple word "make."
     From, this innocent driplet of a root -- comes a drove of
differentiated deluges. "Make up" alone (not considering numerous
other verb phrases emanating from collocated particles) have their
own lexemic offshoots – "make up with someone"/"make up one's
bed"/"make up one's face/make up one's mind"/"make up a (false)
story"/"make up a list (of things to do), etc.. So your point about
economizing on space in lexicographical works is well-taken. As a
result of this necessary economizing, the perfect-world
differentiation of types becomes moot at some point, or interesting
to lexicographe/linguist-types. Each verb phrase would otherwise
require a new headword entry. At some point also, as David Crystal
mentioned, verbal phrases don't "have enough lexical meat" to even
warrant the category "lexeme," much less its own entry point.
Lexicographers make those value judgments all the time, as you
implied by your statement.
     However, even to there it becomes mere waste of space, for
lexicographers and linguists disagree on so many definitions of basic
categories already. And each proceeding generation of ling-lexers
come up with new categories. I've heard it said the Noam Chomsky
isn't even taught in basic linguistic classes anymore. (But that's
another story.)
     So back to the point about words per se (e.g. "witty"
and "wit") -- and whether they constitute similar or different
lexemes, or even whether they could be considered part
of "antistrophic" use, I would say what I mentioned before.  1)
Whether they have similar of different lexemes (in a functional
(semantical) sense), or different forms (in grammatical sense) – they
might be considered anti strophe. Even the fact that "antistrophe"
has lost vogue in usage in the generations since it was introduced
makes that particular point moot if linguists, much less educators in
the field, no longer use the term. But that would simply beg the
question of subsetting "chiasmus," if their needs to be a
differentiation of the kind you mentioned. Perhaps just "reverse
order of two roots, or two root variants in parallel phrases" would
work.
     You mentioned "hunting," as to whether it "would be allowed as
antistrophe to the strophe of "hunter", for example, since "hunting"
is not derived from "hunter"? Could "flies" be antistrophe to the
strophe "flying", since they are clearly not the same lexeme?"
     It's less a matter of whether they would be antistrophes to
those strophes themselves, as much as what the compliments (attending
words) are in the phrases with which to reverse them. In the case
of "witty fool"/"foolish wit" they both need to be reversed. Chiasmus
or antistrophe needs pairs -- "created tokens" or "composed tokens"
to fulfill that role, and that would make the whole world your
oyster.

Scott N.

    mailto:lexicographylist-digest at yahoogroups.com
    mailto:lexicographylist-fullfeatured at yahoogroups.com