[Lexicog] Oh-oh! Typology, Reduplicatives & Lexemes

bolstar1 bolstar1 at YAHOO.COM
Tue Jul 3 16:37:03 UTC 2007

Hayim, Fritz, John, et al:
       I mentioned that it is rather a tricky business categorizing
precise types of fixed phrases, as falling necessarily into one camp,
but not another. It becomes a question of typological imperative
(e.g. spacing for a particular publication), consensus among
lexicographers/linguists, intention of speaker, and usefulness to the
masses. The balance in making typological units concise – yet
inclusive -- is also tricky.
       This list exemplifies (though is far from comprehensive) the
point. I listed only emphatic reduplication  organized around  1) the
nine main parts of speech – verbs, (modals), participles, adverbs,
nouns, pronouns, adjectives, prepositions, interjections, and
articles (only conjunctions are omitted) and  2) around repeated
forms of reduplication (among the other forms mentioned).
        Some of these reduplicates are used also for writing out
phonetically-suggestive words (or sounds), 'echoing'. For example, an
echoic morph for the morpheme meaning "disapproval or annoyance" can
be the reduplicative `tsk-tsk', or `tut-tut' (perhaps a "lexeme" as
has been referred to lately)  – and best being categorized as either
1) a verb in the imperative mood – implied meaning of "Don't do
that." Or  2) a verb in the indicative mood, meaning  "I am
disappointed in that!" Hence the `underlying "mood "of the verb (not
mood of the person) is up for grabs here. Or it could be categorized
as  3) an interjection – simply expressing disapproval, or an emotive
reaction, with no necessary lexical meat on its bones. If the
intention of the speaker had a truly "imperative" mood, then another
category would fit, or be warranted, or be assumed.
       A token morph for the morpheme/lexeme `farewell' can be spoken
and written as `ta-ta' (not emphatic, but demonstrating the point
still). On the other hand, a "sort-of word" (a whistle) for the
morpheme that expresses approval – as when a construction worker sees
an attractive woman walking by -- could be the reduplicative 'srrr-
whistle' with a rising whistle-tone
immediately followed by the `srrr-
whistle' descending whistle-tone. Whether in spoken or in written
form, they need categorizing. An all-inclusive group for that would
be simply a reduplicative. But under that paradigm could be included
non-verbal reduplicatives. The operative question here is whether
there are enough of those non-verbal reduplicative emotive lexemes to
warrant a whole category. Sure there are, if one wants to group them.
(There are more of those, like "Uh-hu!" and "Uh-uh!" and "Oh-oh!
And "Sheesh!

Verbs

never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity (i.e. not take
advantage of things)
If I've told you once, I've told you a million times. (or '...a
thousand times)

(Either) put up or shut up!

pooh-pooh....(something)

talk the talk (and walk the walk)
(If you talk the talk, walk the walk!

Whatever will be, will be.

Whatever happens, happens.

Wink, wink. (interjection & nonverbal communication)

tut-tut someone (verb)

Modals
If I can do it, you can do it.
If I can do it, anyone can do it.
If we can send a man (men) to the moon, we can...
If they can put a man on the moon...
I would if I could but I can't.

Participles
I'm dying if I'm lying.
If I'm lying, I'm dying.
keep on keeping on
"And it's a high fly ball to deep left field...going...going...gone!"

Adverbs
over and over (again)
"I've told you over and and over about that!"

blah, blah, blah.
et cetera, et cetera.
hurry-scurry

 Hamlet 2.02.311-315

"What a piece of work is a
man, how noble in reason, how infinite in faculties,
in form and moving how express and admirable, in
action how like an angel, in apprehension how like a
god:
"
It ain't over till it's over.
Never say never!
Never up, never in. (i.e. If the golf ball doesn't even reach the
hole, it can't go IN the hole.)
talk.../go.../rattle... on and on (about....(something)

time after time
time and time again

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

The more you get, the more you want.

Nouns
(that's) a no-no

a slim Jim
Slim Jims  ™

Surprise, surprise. (ironic tone)

(Let's) call a spade a spade.

Every day, in every way, I am getting better and better. (noun &
adjective forms)

fight fire with fire

Location, location, location. (the key to successful real estate
planning)

out-Herod Herod (someone) (proper noun used as a verb (function))

Water, water everywhere, and not a drop to drink.

What's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.

Pronouns

Everyone who's anyone (will be there).

not for nothing (did I...) (slang)

'Everybody's' business is 'nobody's' business.

(for) you and you alone.

I'm rubber, you're glue; what bounces off me sticks to you.
(rhyme)

Adjectives

Desperate diseases desperate remedies.

a rootin'-tootin'....
a rooting-tooting
;
a rootin', tootin', shootin'
)

a blankety-blank....(something) (expletive deleted)

a super-duper....(something)

First things first.

(just) hunky-dory
Everything's junky-dory.

Same old same old.
Same ol', same ol'.

(went) sky-high

Some men are born great, some men achievement, some men have
greatness thrust upon them. (Shakespeare)

Prepositions

In for a penny, in for a pound. (& alliteration)

betwixt and between (two things)

a little of this and a little of that

Interjections

Hell's bells!
Hell's bells and buckets of blood!

Here, here!

Hubba-hubba!

Well, well. If it isn't....(someone).

tsk-tsk someone (verb)

Tsk-tsk!

Tut-tut!

Articles

's the name,
's the game. (definite article & rhyme)

The more the merrier. (definite article -- 'the' & alliteration)

Where there's a will there's a way. (indefinite article 'a' & pronoun
& alliteration)

 -- Have fun "typing" these. There are many more where they came
from.

Scott N.

    mailto:lexicographylist-digest at yahoogroups.com
    mailto:lexicographylist-fullfeatured at yahoogroups.com