[Lexicog] Re: Oh-oh! Typology, Reduplicatives & Lexemes

bolstar1 bolstar1 at YAHOO.COM
Tue Jul 3 20:43:35 UTC 2007

Hayim.....your background in, and underserstanding of languages and
linguistic principles are attractive.I will continue to watch for
your posts.

Scott N.

 --- In lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com, "bolstar1" <bolstar1 at ...>
wrote:

> Hayim, Fritz, John, et al:
>        I mentioned that it is rather a tricky business categorizing
> precise types of fixed phrases, as falling necessarily into one
camp,
> but not another. It becomes a question of typological imperative
> (e.g. spacing for a particular publication), consensus among
> lexicographers/linguists, intention of speaker, and usefulness to
the
> masses. The balance in making typological units concise – yet
> inclusive -- is also tricky.
>        This list exemplifies (though is far from comprehensive) the
> point. I listed only emphatic reduplication  organized around  1)
the
> nine main parts of speech – verbs, (modals), participles, adverbs,
> nouns, pronouns, adjectives, prepositions, interjections, and
> articles (only conjunctions are omitted) and  2) around repeated
> forms of reduplication (among the other forms mentioned).
>         Some of these reduplicates are used also for writing out
> phonetically-suggestive words (or sounds), 'echoing'. For example,
an
> echoic morph for the morpheme meaning "disapproval or annoyance"
can
> be the reduplicative `tsk-tsk', or `tut-tut' (perhaps a "lexeme" as
> has been referred to lately)  – and best being categorized as
either
> 1) a verb in the imperative mood – implied meaning of "Don't do
> that." Or  2) a verb in the indicative mood, meaning  "I am
> disappointed in that!" Hence the `underlying "mood "of the verb
(not
> mood of the person) is up for grabs here. Or it could be
categorized
> as  3) an interjection – simply expressing disapproval, or an
emotive
> reaction, with no necessary lexical meat on its bones. If the
> intention of the speaker had a truly "imperative" mood, then
another
> category would fit, or be warranted, or be assumed.
>        A token morph for the morpheme/lexeme `farewell' can be
spoken
> and written as `ta-ta' (not emphatic, but demonstrating the point
> still). On the other hand, a "sort-of word" (a whistle) for the
> morpheme that expresses approval – as when a construction worker
sees
> an attractive woman walking by -- could be the reduplicative 'srrr-
> whistle' with a rising whistle-tone
immediately followed by the
`srrr-
> whistle' descending whistle-tone. Whether in spoken or in written
> form, they need categorizing. An all-inclusive group for that would
> be simply a reduplicative. But under that paradigm could be
included
> non-verbal reduplicatives. The operative question here is whether
> there are enough of those non-verbal reduplicative emotive lexemes
> warrant a whole category. Sure there are, if one wants to group
them.
> (There are more of those, like "Uh-hu!" and "Uh-uh!" and "Oh-oh!
> And "Sheesh!
>
> Verbs
>
> never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity (i.e. not take
> advantage of things)
> If I've told you once, I've told you a million times. (or '...a
> thousand times)
>
> (Either) put up or shut up!
>
> pooh-pooh....(something)
>
> talk the talk (and walk the walk)
> (If you talk the talk, walk the walk!
>
> Whatever will be, will be.
>
> Whatever happens, happens.
>
> Wink, wink. (interjection & nonverbal communication)
>
> tut-tut someone (verb)
>

> Modals
> If I can do it, you can do it.
> If I can do it, anyone can do it.
> If we can send a man (men) to the moon, we can...
> If they can put a man on the moon...
> I would if I could but I can't.
>
> Participles
> I'm dying if I'm lying.
> If I'm lying, I'm dying.
> keep on keeping on
> "And it's a high fly ball to deep left
field...going...going...gone!"

> Adverbs
> over and over (again)
> "I've told you over and and over about that!"

blah, blah, blah.

"

;
)

> a blankety-blank....(something) (expletive deleted)
>
> a super-duper....(something)
>
> First things first.
>
> (just) hunky-dory
> Everything's junky-dory.
>
> Same old same old.
> Same ol', same ol'.
>
> (went) sky-high
>
> Some men are born great, some men achievement, some men have
> greatness thrust upon them. (Shakespeare)
>
> Prepositions
>
> In for a penny, in for a pound. (& alliteration)
>
> betwixt and between (two things)
>
> a little of this and a little of that
>
> Interjections
>
> Hell's bells!