[Lexicog] Oh-oh! Typology, Reduplicatives & Lexemes

bolstar1 bolstar1 at YAHOO.COM
Tue Jul 3 22:59:36 UTC 2007

Hayim...Can you imagine our ancestor-progenitors saying to each other
about us post-genitors, "Oy-vieh, can you imagine what our post-
genitors syaing about us progenitors? This is tantamount to us
saying, "Enough."
     I agree with you. I was just making a point.

Scott N.

--- In lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com, Hayim Sheynin
<hsheynin19444 at ...> wrote:

> Dear Scott,
>
> The only note I would like to make is that lexicography
> deals only with one type of communication, namely
> verbal communication.
> The signs, the  whistles, the noises, the gestures even they are a
part of communication, they are no verbal communication. Only minimal
part of
> this which has high frequency enters to the dictionaries as
interjections,
> some of them (like `ta-ta') can be entered as slang expressions.
> For the big works treating combinations of words and idioms there
is a
> special sub-genre of dictionaries, I have in mind monolingual or
bilingual phraseological dictionaries.

> Hayim Y. Sheynin
>
> bolstar1 <bolstar1 at ...> wrote:
Hayim, Fritz, John, et al:
>         I mentioned that it is rather a tricky business
categorizing
>  precise types of fixed phrases, as falling necessarily into one
camp,
>  but not another. It becomes a question of typological imperative
>  (e.g. spacing for a particular publication), consensus among
>  lexicographers/linguists, intention of speaker, and usefulness to
the
>  masses. The balance in making typological units concise – yet
>  inclusive -- is also tricky.
>         This list exemplifies (though is far from comprehensive)
the
>  point. I listed only emphatic reduplication  organized around  1)
the
>  nine main parts of speech – verbs, (modals), participles, adverbs,
>  nouns, pronouns, adjectives, prepositions, interjections, and
>  articles (only conjunctions are omitted) and  2) around repeated
>  forms of reduplication (among the other forms mentioned).
>          Some of these reduplicates are used also for writing out
>  phonetically-suggestive words (or sounds), 'echoing'. For example,
an
>  echoic morph for the morpheme meaning "disapproval or annoyance"
can
>  be the reduplicative `tsk-tsk', or `tut-tut' (perhaps a "lexeme"
as
>  has been referred to lately)  – and best being categorized as
either
>  1) a verb in the imperative mood – implied meaning of "Don't do
>  that." Or  2) a verb in the indicative mood, meaning  "I am
>  disappointed in that!" Hence the `underlying "mood "of the verb
(not
>  mood of the person) is up for grabs here. Or it could be
categorized
>  as  3) an interjection – simply expressing disapproval, or an
emotive
>  reaction, with no necessary lexical meat on its bones. If the
>  intention of the speaker had a truly "imperative" mood, then
another
>  category would fit, or be warranted, or be assumed.
>         A token morph for the morpheme/lexeme `farewell' can be
spoken
>  and written as `ta-ta' (not emphatic, but demonstrating the point
>  still). On the other hand, a "sort-of word" (a whistle) for the
>  morpheme that expresses approval – as when a construction worker
sees
>  an attractive woman walking by -- could be the reduplicative 'srrr-
>  whistle' with a rising whistle-tone
immediately followed by the
`srrr-
>  whistle' descending whistle-tone. Whether in spoken or in written
>  form, they need categorizing. An all-inclusive group for that
would
>  be simply a reduplicative. But under that paradigm could be
included
>  non-verbal reduplicatives. The operative question here is whether
>  there are enough of those non-verbal reduplicative emotive lexemes
>  warrant a whole category. Sure there are, if one wants to group
them.
>  (There are more of those, like "Uh-hu!" and "Uh-uh!" and "Oh-oh!
>  And "Sheesh!
>
>  Verbs
>
>  never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity (i.e. not take
>  advantage of things)
>  If I've told you once, I've told you a million times. (or '...a
>  thousand times)
>
>  (Either) put up or shut up!
>
>  pooh-pooh....(something)
>
>  talk the talk (and walk the walk)
>  (If you talk the talk, walk the walk!
>
>  Whatever will be, will be.
>
>  Whatever happens, happens.
>
>  Wink, wink. (interjection & nonverbal communication)
>
>  tut-tut someone (verb)
>
>  Modals
>  If I can do it, you can do it.
>  If I can do it, anyone can do it.
>  If we can send a man (men) to the moon, we can...
>  If they can put a man on the moon...
>  I would if I could but I can't.
>
>  Participles
>  I'm dying if I'm lying.
>  If I'm lying, I'm dying.
>  keep on keeping on
>  "And it's a high fly ball to deep left
field...going...going...gone!"

>  Adverbs
>  over and over (again)
>  "I've told you over and and over about that!"

blah, blah, blah.

"

;
)

>  a blankety-blank....(something) (expletive deleted)
>
>  a super-duper....(something)
>
>  First things first.
>
>  (just) hunky-dory
>  Everything's junky-dory.
>
>  Same old same old.
>  Same ol', same ol'.
>
>  (went) sky-high
>
>  Some men are born great, some men achievement, some men have
>  greatness thrust upon them. (Shakespeare)
>
>  Prepositions
>
>  In for a penny, in for a pound. (& alliteration)
>
>  betwixt and between (two things)
>
>  a little of this and a little of that
>
>  Interjections
>
>  Hell's bells!
>  Hell's bells and buckets of blood!
>
>  Here, here!
>
>  Hubba-hubba!
>
>  Well, well. If it isn't....(someone).
>
>  tsk-tsk someone (verb)
>
>  Tsk-tsk!
>
>  Tut-tut!
>
>  Articles

's the name,
's the game. (definite article & rhyme)

>  The more the merrier. (definite article -- 'the' & alliteration)
>
>  Where there's a will there's a way. (indefinite article 'a' &
pronoun
>  & alliteration)
>
>  -- Have fun "typing" these. There are many more where they came
>  from.
>
>  Scott N.

> Ready for the edge of your seat? Check out tonight's top picks on
Yahoo! TV.

    mailto:lexicographylist-digest at yahoogroups.com
    mailto:lexicographylist-fullfeatured at yahoogroups.com