[Lexicog] Bad Form, Good Function

bolstar1 bolstar1 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Jul 5 17:49:37 UTC 2007

       This post will address a type of utterance that has only
descriptive references -- not a general tag-type, and certainly not a
category in the pantheon of recognized grammatical categories (eight
or nine). That is the "non-verbal noise."
      Hayim, you were correct in stating that this type of utterance
is not verbal. However, it does function so, if noises made by the
mouth could be considered communicating a purpose, not simply as a
reactive impulse. It simply happens to happen with noises – uttered
through the mouth, nose, or tongue --  not the eyes (e.g. "bat one's
eyes at"); not the nose (thumb one's nose at; wrinkle one's nose at);
not the eyebrows (with furrowed brows); not the fingers (flip someone
the finger/bird); not the arms (with arms crossed); not the derriere
(moon someone). These all have their own category – simply nonverbal
communication. I'm referring to "verbalizing" – though not "verbal"
in the strict sense.
     I asked Michael Adams about these utterances, and he directed me
to his and McMillan's papers on "infixing" and "interposing." In
Adam's paper "Meaningful Infixing: a Nonexpletive Form", he refers to
McMillan's wording about infixing – "According to James B. McMillan
(1980, 163), infixing generates a lexeme with "a polysyllabic word as
the matrix and an emotional intensifier (an expletive or a euphemism)
as the insert," such as guaranfuckingtee or unfuckingbelievable.
Infixes are "emotive stress amplifier[s]," and inserts are usually
semantically neutral."
     Adams goes on to say, "where an infixing or interposing is not
an "emotional stress amplifier," we observe tmesis or diacope,
instead. The OED says of tmesis,.. – 1678 (Phillips) "a figure of
Prosody, wherein a compounded word is, as it were, cut asunder, and
divided into two parts by some other word which is interposed, as
Septem Subjecta Trioni, for Subjecta Septemtrioni." The OED says
of "diacope" – "a division of a word compound into two parts, as,
What might be so ever..for, whatsoever might be"
     But I'm talking here about autonomous vocal utterances per se,
not infixing or interposing (which according to the comments in the
previously-mentioned papers, generally have no independent semantic
meat. Perhaps a telling distinction between those types and the
following are  1) mouthed interjections have semantic meat
(communicating a distinct agreement/disagreement/; imperative mood to
stop someone's actions, or calling someone's attention to
inappropriateness of action (implied imperative mood);  2)
emphatic/intensive/emotive & intellectual reaction. Examples here are
exemplitive (technically "exemplificative of"-- not comprehensive of,
the kind I'm referring to.

a gag sign (finger pointing into the recess of the throat)
hissing/hooting /jeering/
Bronx cheer (flapping one's lips-enwrapped tongue by blowing through
mouth – i.e. "Go
         back to the bench!)
Ahem!! || clearing one's throat (Hey, what the heck are you doing! ||
Stop that!!)
heavy breathing/mouth breathing (obscene telephone noise intended to
woo, or at least
     communicate one-way one's one-sided intentions)
wolf-whistling (construction-worker reaction to a pretty girl)
smacking one's lips dogs and mankind are so connected)
Tsk-tsk! || Tut-tut! (see "Ahem!!)
sticking out one's tongue at someone (so self-explanatory – does any
culture take this as
       a sign of honor?; I'm reminded of Ace Ventura (Jim Carrey)
being snotted on by
       African tribal chief -- as a sign of honored welcome to the
tribe)

       The problem of course lies in frequency of usage. If a form
has a fixed number of tokens in a language, say, 100, would that be a
reasonable threshold beyond which a category (a sort of pantheon
category/pantheon type) would be created, or enough for a sub-
category (with a demonstrable distinction that sets if off from other
subsets), or would it still be considered simply a designation/a
tag/a rhetorical type – such as "infixing" or "antistrophe" or "tag
question"?
       I think of these listed types as being subsets
of "interjection." Though in a sense, this is a misnomer, in that it
has distinct implied and understood purpose (i.e. to communicate an
idea, or purpose, to a listener) enough semantic stuff to lift it
above a simple infix, a simple interpose, an appositive addendum, or
a simple emotive uttered reaction (which is basically what an
interjection is). "Guffaws," chuckles," "friggin'-blah, blah, blah-
type" infixes, diacopes (Dos anyone really know what time it is, or
what a "diacope" is?) would be excluded here.

Scott N.

    mailto:lexicographylist-digest at yahoogroups.com
    mailto:lexicographylist-fullfeatured at yahoogroups.com