[Lexicog] Freedom Fries -- Grist for the OED Mill

bolstar1 bolstar1 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Jul 5 18:20:49 UTC 2007

Freedom Fries: A Dated Concept?
Whatever happened to "Freedom Fries" – you know, that catchphrase that
once, about three weeks ago, connoted `french fries'

with the
qualifying denotation, "Hey, France, go suck an egg." So, what does the
phrase have to do with the price of eggs? Maybe it was the election of
Sarkoszy.
       Well, it is just that exhaustive (truly unabridged)
dictionaries, and certainly verbally-unchallenged American-political-
historian-types, might cite this phrase as exemplificative of (I hate
that word. I prefer the well-recognized and easily
pronounceable "exemplicative") the early-twenty-first-century lexicon.
This is a question of inclusion-exclusion in the 3rd Edition of the
OED. I'm interested in seeing what happens to that cute expression.
(Call me a history-in-the-making buff.)

Scott N.

    mailto:lexicographylist-digest at yahoogroups.com
    mailto:lexicographylist-fullfeatured at yahoogroups.com